Friday, May 12, 2017

Mental Health Matters As Much As "Physical" Health

May is another favorite advocacy month for me: Mental Health Awareness Month.




If you've read any of my previous blog posts, you'll know that mental health is an important subject for me, both in conjunction with chronic illness and on its own.
If you think I stress mental health awareness as it is, buckle up, because I'm going to really focus on it this month.

Mental illness has impacted my life in many areas; both of my birth kids have mental disorders, my 2 adopted kids have both had some issues with depression and trauma, I have depression and anxiety, and I have friends who live with mental illness as well. Currently, the hashtag #1in4 is trending, because 1 in 4 people have mental health issues. Chances are that if you are not the 1 in 4, you know someone who is.

Although we have evolved into a society that is more accepting of mental illness, stigma is alive and well, even within the mental health community. We have more awareness and openness about depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder, but many other mental illnesses continue to be bypassed or misunderstood.

This month I'll be focusing on the mental health issues that have affected my life.

Happy Mental Health Awareness Month and spread awareness, not stigma!


No comments:

Post a Comment